When moving into a new home, you can spend a large majority of your time focusing on logistics. When will the moving truck arrive? Are all the boxes packed and labeled? Is our family friend going to show up on time with his trailer? Etc. etc. So much is on your mind that you may lose a little sleep at night. With all the planning, it’s easy to overlook one of the most important things you need to be prepared for: your first night in your new home.
You sure don’t want that night to be stressful, particularly after an entire day of moving. So we’re here to offer some advice on how to prepare to spend the first night in your new digs—comfortably.
The best way to approach your first night in a new home is to put together a couple of bundles of essentials that you have easy access to. Don’t pack these things on the moving truck. Be sure to put them in a personal vehicle so they don’t get mixed up with the rest of the riff-raff. You need to be able to find them in a pinch!
You should prep two different bags/bins: Personal Needs and Home Needs.
PERSONAL NEEDS BAG
Think of this like an overnight bag. Each person in your family can have their own. For special cases like newborns or pets, make sure you put together something for them as well. But this is the bag that will help you get through a normal night away from home—the catch is it’s going to help you get through the first night in your NEW home!
Ideas for your Personal Needs Bag:
- Toilet paper
- Prescriptions and other medications
- Change of clothes for the next day or two
- Socks and shoes
- Books and/or magazines
- Things you need to sleep comfortably: sleep mask, sound machine
- First aid kit
- Chargers for your devices like phones and computers
- Wallet and credit cards
- Extra clothing, diapers, and wipes for babies (and their favorite comfort items!)
- Food, beds, toys, leashes, litter, and any medicine for pets
HOUSEHOLD NEEDS BIN
There are different ways to do this, but for your household essentials box, we recommend something transparent so you can see what’s inside. That makes things easy to find! A clear container can also help ease that moving day anxiety because you can check quickly to make sure those trash bags are where you need them without having to dig through a disorganized bag.
Ideas for your Household Needs Bin:
- Important documents (like school records, home documents, passports, and other forms of identification)
- Trash bags
- Paper towels or rags
- Household cleaner
- Bottled water
- Small tool kit (screw driver, hammer, pliers)
- Bedding (pillows/blankets/sheets)
- Bar soap and hand soap
- Shower curtain
- Pen and paper
- Can opener
- Dinnerware (we recommend paper plates, plastic cups and utensils)
- Snacks and items to make simple meals like sandwiches
Feel free to add or subtract to these lists based on your moving day situation! But with these suggestions we hope your first night in your new home can be a peaceful end to a busy day!